I had gotten out of the service and returned to NJ for the summer of 1976. In Philadelphia, it was party city... independence hall, liberty bell, 200 years and all that.

I heard about a big show coming to town. The tickets were the princely sum of $10 plus taxes and fees. Wow, but it seemed to be a great show in the making so I bought a ticket. I couldn't find anyone to go with me due to the cost of the ticket. A guy I worked with said his sister had bought a ticket and needed a ride and she would be interested in going with me. It wasn't a date. And, we didn't get along from the start. Something mumbled about the lack of air conditioning in my car... and it went downhill from there. She really only wanted to see Dream Weaver and Frampton... then she was ready to leave and I was saying oh heck no.... the best is yet to come....

Among the list of performers on that hot July 10th Saturday were: The Philadelphia Mummers in their full feathered costumes. Gary Wright with his band Dream Weaver. Peter Frampton was riding high on the sales from his Frampton Comes Alive album and I think he played that entire album. The headliner for that show was YES. And they hit the stage at 9pm and played well past 11pm. I know there were a bunch of other bands there from a few hit makers to local Philly club bands. The music started at noon and went for almost 12 hrs.

The day started out as hot as you can imagine sitting in southern facing seats in the bleachers. As the sun went down, it cooled off, and seemed to be downright cold. Tony's sister had dressed for the 90 degree day and didn't bring so much as a long sleeve shirt.... probably because she hadn't planned to stay for the after dark part of the show. We stayed to the end, because I had the car and the keys, and she was not a happy camper.

In spite of it all...... it was a superb show. One that stays in my memories. Frampton was amazing and YES, well, they did not disappoint. Everything they played was note perfect to the album. Well worth the $10.

Monday at work... Tony came in laughing.... he said his sister was furious that she had to stay to the end of the show..... we both had a good laugh, and he apologized for his sister's actions and suggesting that I take her to the show.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.