Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: tomcaine
Hi All,

Newbie question: How do you use punch in recording? My understanding is that if I make a mistake, I can re-record over a section of a recording. ......... Maybe there's a better way?

Others have instructed you how to do it in BB & RB.

Personally, I think there's a better way to do that. It does involve a DAW such as what I use....Sonar.

I have imported my tracks from RB into the tracks in Sonar. I record my live stuff in other tracks in the project. When I make a mistake and need to fix something, I simply set the resolution to what I prefer which is often "Measure" but can be "Quarter" note or something else entirely. I use the cursor to highlight the part of the track with the mistake that needs fixing and drag through the mistake. I set the punch recording and activate the points which appear at the start and end of the highlighted area. I click in the track, in the highlighted area and delete what's there. I now have a hole in the track....

I now set the start point a few measures ahead of the punch in point and hit RECORD.... it gives me a count in and starts playing. As soon as it hits the PI point, it starts grabbing and printing my guitar or vocals and when it hits the PO point it stops. All in and out transitions occur at a zero crossing of the wave so there's no click or pop in that transition on either end.

Personally, I find this to be the most expedient way for me to work. Your Mileage and experience may vary

Edit: I've used this where the punch point was in the middle of a held note. I was expecting a noticeable change..... nope.... nada..... zip. It was like it was one continuous good take. Of course, the object was to duplicate as close as possible the original take so it wasn't done 2 distinctly different ways. That matters in situations like this.

Exactly how I do it in Cunase. Never an issue and very precise. Thumbs up for sure!

Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9