RB uses what they call a Temp Audio Directory to save your edits and new recordings.
Once the SEQ file gets saved, it writes all the new stuff to the original file, and also creates a backup in your RBBackup folder
Where this folder is located depends on where you run RB from.

From your description it sounds like this drive has become an issue.
Do you have enough disk space?
Have you paid attention to the Backups options in Preferences - Options?

The backup control is on the File tab (how many, how much space, whether to delete or just move to Recycle Bin,which still eats drive space, etc)
The Temp Audio Directory is specified on the Audio tab.

Do you have available a second internal hard drive?
Are you running Realband from C: or the external hard drive?

These questions may help narrow it down.
You posted your specs but not the drive options.

RBBackup, as I mentioned is on the same drive as you run Realband from.
The Temp Audio Directory is assignable. This helps alleviate issues where the system is is trying to Read and Write to the same drive at the same time.
If you think about it, most programs do not have to do that, but when recording audio you need to hear the existing tracks (Read) and also store what you are recording (Write) at the same time.
In the image below, I use the 'T' drive for writing to (edits and recording) and one of the other drives for reading the tracks.
Now after a while, even with this situation, the 'T' drive will start reading/writing at the same time until I Save, which interweaves all the data into a single SEQ file.

The Temp Audio directory does not get cleared out until you actually exit Realband, then any temp audio chunks are deleted.

Not sure if all this will help, but it does seem to point to a resource issue and the drive(s) is the unknown right now.

In the event you do have an issue, using File- Open Special allows the option to open a recent backup .. which would have been your last known good point (most likely).
However, I think the recovery process does exactly this; opens the most recent backup, so if those aren't good, there is something else going on, but by using the timestamp on the backups available you can tell when the problem started occurring. Work backwards in time.

Aside from the above, are you using any new Plugins? Sometimes plugins can either put extra drain on the system, or 'not play nice'. The above mentioned method (working backwards in time) helped me discover a free plugin that was the issue, so thought I'd mention it also.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DriveUse_RB.jpg (31.61 KB, 178 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 02/17/21 01:00 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome