I’m pondering about updating to version 2021 or not. I have version 2019 on my win10 pc but hardly ever use it. I do, however, use my 2010 version which I have on an old win xp machine with a Sound Blaster x-fi card.

I love the simplicity of being able to use GM soundfonts on my old machine, but still haven’t been able to figure out a way of doing this on a machine without a Sound Blaster card. I use CoolSoft VirtualMidiSynth to listen to midi files in media players but the lag makes it useless when working inside a DAW.

On my win10 PC I have instead been using Acoustica Mixcraft more and more. The general midi instruments there at least sound better than CoyoteWT and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth - and they have zero lag. Mixcraft is also less buggy than Powertracks and has great graphic automation lanes for just about every parameter (something I have wished for in Powertracks since 2005)

But Powertracks has superior midi editing and I have a great fondness for the program as I started with it 20 years ago and have written lots of music on it.

If there was a way of playing GM soundfonts with minimal latency on my win10 pc, I would probably keep using PT and update to the newest version, but is there a hassle-free way? Throughout the years I have tried various VSTi:s that have been recommended, but I have never managed to make them work as an easy accessible GM-font, I have only managed to get individual SF-instruments playing.

What I want is the easiness of working out song sketches with a great sounding GM sondfont. Anyone doing this? If so, I’d love to hear from you and learn what program you use and how you assign the soundfont as the general midi output driver in Powertracks.

Thanks!

www.athleticdesign.se - lean clean games