Originally Posted By: dcuny
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Old song.
1978, I think.

Is there a time you didn't write excellent lyrics?

I have this image of little baby floyd jane clutching a crayon and scrawling out masterpiece lyrics on the wall of his bedroom. wink

Love it! Exceptionally good.

Really, I could quote every line, because you manage to make everything pay off one way or another, like trying to figure out what to say. Do you say "love" in a man-to-man conversation?

some call fate, some call it a love
call when you're caught in the rain

Yes. Yes you do. And then effortlessly turn the meaning of "call" while you're at it.

The "nothing in common" is nicely developed:

we talked music, we talked movies
over my beer and your gin
for some reason i impressed you
i thought you were older, too

It's a confessional that draws me in deeper as the song goes along. I really like how it adds additional details that take the idea further than expected, or somewhere unexpected. Like:

we thought we had a lot in common
strangers usually do

Good line! But then:

it wasn't true

The twist of the knife!

Or:
it's not often a man's allowed to cry
but i feel i can with you

Again, pulling into the confession, but then:

sometimes i do

Much deeper than expected.

Your voice is perfect for this - expressive and emotive.

There's nothing obviously flashy about the arrangement, but just a bit of focus of attention from the vocal - which the arrangement keeps the focus on by being understated - shows off some really nice elements. There's the subtle but funky kick and the congas, for example. Elements which wouldn't be expected in a "classic" country arrangement but fit right in.

The build of the arc is also subtle, but impressive. The strings rise from solo cello to violin, and then a small section, and then back down again. The vocal becomes more intense and the harmony grows. Really nice.

I won't mention the structure or chords (because I was busy paying attention to other stuff), other than to say that takes the song another level. But it was noticed!

I'm too lazy to come up with any new adjectives, so I'll just repeat: exceptionally well done - even for you. laugh

David - it is hard to even respond to your comments - you floored me.
Your insight into the lyric is very much appreciated. It's where it all begins for me - so it is always nice when someone "gets it" and notes it.
Your comments on the production/arrangement is "icing".
Thanks for the outstanding review. I could hang that on the wall!!
smile