Well, this just goes to show that there are as many ways to write as there are writers.

I totally get the let if flow and don't force it train of thought.

On the flip side, there is also the pick a topic and write about it side of things. If you are going to be serious about being a writer, you have to work on things even when they are not flowing and not coming naturally. I have a number of what I think are good songs that were written that very way. Someone gave me a title, someone gave me a story line to write too, or for some reason, the muse just wasn't in the right cosmic position that day but I pushed through it, forcing it if you would, and was determined to write something that day and I did.

In fact, if I sit around waiting for the muse to strike and inspiration to fall from the stars..... I'd never write anything. For me, it mostly doesn't work that way. I have to sit down with the intention to write something. It's at that point that the muse does kick in and I start to write. Sometimes it's decent enough to keep, and other times it's not.

As Ringo said... It don't come easy.

Here's a good example that I recall.... https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11198785

The story is.... I got a tip that a song was needed for a film ending. They gave the story line of the movie and the job was write and record something that would sum up the movie as the leading character stood staring out the window into the rain while his son was playing on the floor behind him as it faded to black.....
Oh.... and the finished song has to be submitted in less than 3 days from now. This is the song I did based on that listing and well within the deadline. The song screener commented that there's no way this was already written since it was way to close to the listing description and that I had to have written it specifically for the listing. Bingo!

Rest of the story.... leading character was working at a pharma company on a drug that can selectively remove certain memories that are traumatic, to help soldiers returning from the war with PTSD. It has some side effects in that it doesn't always work correctly. His wife and oldest son are killed in an auto accident and he decides to use this untested drug...... he's left with the feeling that there's something else.... something that he's missing but it's right on the edge of his memory but he can't seem to shake that feeling....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/23/21 09:33 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.