Nice backstory.
Reminded me of Alan Parsons song, probably the chording, but funny that later I read that you mentioned Colin Blunstone in a comment, maybe the singer also affected my impression.

Touching lyrics, J&B already mentioned my favorite lines: "The flowers bloomed without you there/They watched the sun/Like nothing's changed"

Beautiful melody and chording, cello works nicely in the mood.

I agree, male's breathy vocal fits well, at first listening it took me some time to notice it was a synthesized vocal. I haven't much followed the current Vocaloid et al. situation, I do still use it to layout the melody, check how it works with the lyrics (even in Finnish - I just use phonemes) and then use it as a guide track for my singing. My first showcased songs were Vocaloid ones, after that I used other singers, but now I'm just using Melodyne, it can fix my terrible voice amazingly well, even when several semitones off tune. Occasionally I still use Vocaloids as backing singers. But I might check Synthesizer V when it sounds even more realistic. I think sometime ago I listened a whole album Elanore Forte singing and it was pretty good.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube