Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, Alan.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with long narratives. (This coming from the guy who writes novels every time he posts).

I'm glad you're able to find some good from Di's pain.

I have a lot of difficulty believing this is all BiaB. Because - no exaggeration - it's that good. It feels musical and organic.

So, wow. smile

But... (because I have to ask) is there supposed to be a lead guitar playing really, really quietly from 0:11 to 0:19?

I only ask because this list literally my fourth of fifth time listening through, and noticed it.

And I'm still no less impressed that the first time.

As you wrote, "It's strong and powerful with an edgy, emotional draw."

Wow.

David,

As you probably know, it's been only since the middle of last month that I've posted my thought processes on how and why I do the things I do with my music. Several folks asked for more of that, so I've tried to oblige. I'm delighted you enjoy the info.

Sometimes I wonder if some folks think I'm just whining about Di's health and the all the responsibilities I have because of it. I hope that's not the case. But sometimes I do wonder. That's certainly not the intention.

And for the record, I read every word you write as I'm quite impressed with your knowledge of music creation and theory. I have no knowledge of music theory. I just do what I do by "feel" and hope others might like it. But one caveat in my bag of tricks ... I do have a very good understanding of chords and how to use them. It's not from training or knowledge ... it's just instinctive feel.

Indeed, it's all BIAB. I do not use a DAW, unless you want to define Audacity as such. Everything I post is straight from the chord input page, saved to Audacity as a final stereo mixdown from the Chord Input Page in BIAB and then save the final recording from Audacity to a file. I don't send stems to Audacity ... just my final "manipulations" in "Bar Settings" and "Song Settings". I do all my panning, reverb and volume "mixing" using those two setting capabilities. I send a single WAV file to Audacity and adjust a little compression at times and, perhaps, a slight bit of overall tone adjustment.

I haven't the faintest idea how to use a "real" DAW - have tried multiple times but they're above my ability to decipher. I have a very technical college degree (Physics With An Emphasis On The Physics Of Light), so I'm not totally without reasonable intelligence (No one has suggested I am, BTW, except a former wife). But the real DAWs all assume the user has at least a very basic knowledge of musical recording. I have none whatsoever. So, I just wing it in BIAB and Audacity. Sometimes something good comes of it!

I have no idea how to bring 3rd party software into BIAB ... such as VSTs. I would love to be able to do that, but it's just beyond me. I do, however, use the BIAB indigenous VSTs.

As far as the very low-volume lead guitar :11 thru :19 - I noticed it as I was finishing up in Audacity. Di listened to it after I told her I was going to take it out. She said "Don't. Because even when I'm at my best with the least amount of pain, there's always underlying pain. Let that represent that pain, as it never goes away." So, that's what I did. I guess I should have mentioned that in my narrative. Some day you'll be old and understand about forgetfulness!

Every post I've created in this forum has been created as I mentioned above.

And many thanks for your very kind and supportive comments - on this song and all my other music. I sincerely appreciate it. And never pass up an opportunity to suggest what I might be able to do in order to improve my music. I've been in the music business since 1963 - my skin is tougher than kryptonite!

Again, many thanks. BTW, I used to live in Bakersfield, CA. Only been to Sacramento once - in 1994. Take care.

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 03/11/21 06:43 PM.

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops