At least the ones in your mind.

I've written a piece in the key of Dmajor. Chords used are just D major (I), G major (IV) and A7 (V). It has a middle section that is almost completely hanging on a G major chord for 8 bars, with just a brief turn back to the D major chord progression it started with.

Because it is so long (and of such a different timbre/character) it kinda feels like a key change to G major, but since there are no other chords to "give away" a new tonal center to G, it may NOT be.

So...did I accidentally modulate? What key/scale should I be telling for a solo over that section (planning at present to hire a soloist to improvise) Dmajor or Gmajor? Or would either of those be helpful info?

I'm in no way afraid of being eccentric, so if one might sound "weirder" than the other, that's ok...but good to know in advance. I just want to be able to communicate.

Thanks.

Last edited by Tangmo; 03/22/21 08:23 AM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground