I'm all for backups - in college we were taught that if you have less than 5 copies of a file in different locations, you might as well not have the file at all. You can lose a job or contract for this kinda stuff so I take it quite seriously.

I'm a Mac guy so I use the built-in Time Machine as a primary backup into one drive of my 4-bay USB drive. I also use a program called ChronoSync to automatically backup certain files into the other drives in the 4-bay USB plus a 2-bay network storage, plus into my Google drive (for the really important stuff). Once in a while I'll take a backup drive to my dad's house to stash, in case of fire or some other large scale catastrophe.

Working here at PG, we get so many users who have lost their BIAB songs because they've saved them to their BIAB hard drive and subsequently dropped and killed the drive. While the hard drives we use are quite reliable and generally last many years, they're still a hard drive and as such are prone to failure. Hard drives will always fail given enough time, even solid state drives (I've personally had a few die so far).

So for everyone reading this, if you don't have a backup system, set one up now! Don't wait until tomorrow because that might be the day you lose every song you've ever written, every photo you've ever taken, and every document you've saved.

That said, I've never personally had a Windows restore point help me at all, although I still allow Windows to create them. Keep in mind that I'm primarily a Mac user now, and haven't used Windows much since 7, so things might've (probably have) improved since then.

Last edited by Simon - PG Music; 03/30/21 11:07 AM.

I work here