Originally Posted By: Henry Clarke
I personally think (and this is just an opinion) that if you're going to go for a synthesized voice you might was well go full fledged and go with the DAFT PUNK or Autotune sound.

Hi, Henry.

You're right about that.

But I'm really just using the voices as a means to produce more demos songs. I wrote zero songs with lyrics last year, and my goal for this year was to write more songs. One of the sticking points is the amount of time I labor over lyrics, and the conditions in my house are less than ideal for recording.

I've updated my post to make that more clear.

Quote:

I think it will give your song more presence and make it more commercially viable. I think the songs are very very good and have a nice glide but the artificial voice throws it off because it's too obvious and almost doesn't sound intended. :-) I hope that doesn't sound too crazy.

I agree there are issues with using the synthetic voice with this type of song. By the nature of the singer that was chosen, as well as the resynthesis algorithm, the voice has particular tendencies, and working against a singer's strength (real or artificial) never gives the best results.

Plus, I also only have a passing familiarity with the genres that uses synthetic voices. I really should spend more time listening to contemporary styles and broadening my musical tastes.

I appreciate the positive words about the songs. Next year, I intend to revisit these songs and see how I feel about getting a real vocalist on them. I'm not after the commercial market, but I think there may be some songs that will deserve a remix.

And maybe my goal next year will be working on "real" vocals. laugh

Thanks!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?