Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Our two immediate impressions...

- That is one cool thought provoking write ... so many great lines.

- The harmony and call/response vocals are your best.

Thanks! I'm very happy how this turned out. Then again, part of that is just relief that it finally got finished. crazy

One of my had habits is writing melodies that don't have room to breath. So one of the things I'm trying to do is add some more space in the melody.

Fortunately for me, I think that translated in spots to add the harmony when I finally got around to writing it.

Quote:
Upon several listens...

As Janice said, "that is a really good melody!"

Thanks! smile

The nice thing about starting with the melody first in Synthesizer V (or a DAW) is that you can run through it again and again, and edit it so it's got a nice flow. Most good songwriters just do this naturally, but honestly, I don't have the memory to hold all that in my head. So working it out by drawing notes and dragging them around on the piano roll editor works well.

When I play the melody in from the keyboard, I tend to "think" pianistically, if that makes sense. Not that I'm any good at playing piano, but piano idioms just sneak in when entering music that way. So drawing notes with my mouse is tedious, but it gives me time to think about what I'm doing.

Of course, the curse of doing it that way is that adding words to those notes can be stupid-hard to do if you're me. wink

Quote:
All of the band components sound excellent and very cohesive. The mix is spot on.

Thanks for the processing chain. We like to read them.

Yeah, I appreciate seeing what other people are doing as well.

I mean, I know the reasons your mixes are so good is because of your skills, but that doesn't stop me from wondering if I should perhaps pick up the CLA stuff and hear how it sounds on my drums.

Quote:
And your backstory of the trials, tribulations and celebrations of the production journey are always an interesting read!

And that's just the editing version!

Thanks for the positive comments! It's especially meaningful because Janice has great harmonies, and you've got stellar mixes.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?