Quote:

And I think there is only 1 developed nation that believes basic health care is not a right. You might believe you have better rights, but to many of us, that's the most basic right.

If you examine Maslow's hierarchy of needs maybe you can sort out how a person can have any level of equality if a series of minor illnesses, that any of us are a slip or germ away from having, can take away your security, what you worked for, and your very existence.

I actually agree with this John, the problem is how do we pay for it? After following the health care debate pretty closely here, I can see that you guys up there are to a certain extent getting a free ride from us similar to your national defense. You don't have to spend a good percentage of your GDP on defense because you know if push comes to shove we will protect you and you're right, we would. I'm a financial type and while I'm not a Phd in Economics I have quite a bit of education in financial things.
Drugs are expensive to develop. Very expensive. The drug companies have to make a certain return on equity or investment or it's not worth it just like you do if you put a grand in a savings account. In spite of what you read about record profits and all that, the ROE for the drug companies is pretty low overall. Canadians are justifiably proud of your government for negotiating very tough drug pricing to the extent that we now are aware of big differences in costs. The reason for that is volume production. The companies are willing to eat that reduced profit to keep the production at a high level because they know that what they lose by selling to you they can make up with higher prices here so they went along. But, with the spotlight on that right now, if a health care bill finally makes it way through congress it will include reduced drug costs because how can it be that the prices are so much lower in Canada for the same American developed drug? That will mean higher costs for you guys up there because if the companies are not making it up by higher prices here, why should they continue to sell to you at a reduced price? The answer is they won't. What will happen is the prices will be the same on both sides of the border. Our drug costs will come down somewhat and yours will go up somewhat until they find equilibrium. Basic economics. Oh, the same goes for all the medical devices and high tech equipment that is developed here and sold there. In order for us to have what you consider the same basic rights you have, you will wind up paying for some of it. Thanks.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.