Cathy,

there's two issues being discussed in reference to the licensing.

One is how to license a song that someone else owns the copyright on.... such as when you want to do a cover of a popular song. In this case, you contact the HARRY FOX AGENCY and pay them the license fee for the purpose you intend to use the song in. Prices vary so you should choose carefully to stay within the license.

Second one.... and this is what I think you you meant when you said
Quote:
Dunno what it takes to license a song and get it heard, but I think there's gotta be a band that would want this one.

That is a different kind of licensing. That is plugging or placing the song for commercial use. Most often, this is done either by you knowing the artist and pitching directly to them or by placing it with a publisher who has the connections and can do that for you. Pitching to artists is very difficult due to the huge amount of competition for the 10 spots on the average CD. Mostly, I place my music in libraries which is akin to a publisher. They provide music to film and TV and do all the legwork and submit songs in their care to specific industry listings that they think would be a good fit for the music. As a result, I've had a few songs used commercially and gotten paid for that use.

Hope that clarifies what licensing is and how to get your songs heard, a bit. And that's really just barely scratching the surface..... and those are by no means the only ways to get songs heard.

One bit of advice. NEVER pay anyone to do publicity or "get your songs heard". Anyone asking for money is a scammer/song shark. If the song is good and the company is reputable, they pay you, not the other way around.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/07/21 04:50 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.