Originally Posted By: eddie1261
This is the kind of thread that makes me love forums. Knowledgeable people (you) will to help an idiot (me). I have SOME construction background, and I can build with wood well enough that I could assemble a shed kit up to the point where the shell is standing. THEN comes the stuff I don't know. Running Romex though the studs, for example. How much excess do I leave? What do I once I decide where the electric entry point to the building will be? DO I want a panel out there or is this all going to be powered from the panel in the basement and just the 2 circuits Romex will run through a buried conduit? The ethernet stuff I can handle. If the power will be on a panel then I call Brian the electrician and have him do it at a level where I DO spend money for a permit. There won't be water out there other than what falls onto the top of it.

Keeping in mind that this is all in the "considering" phase...

You guys know your stuff!! And I appreciate you sharing it.

When it comes to running the wire.... If you're not knowledgeable about it, hire it out to a licensed electrician.

If you plan on running pipe underground, be sure you have wire with insulation rated for wet location. Be sure to size it at least one trade size bigger. And put a spare pipe in the ground too. You might not think you need it and you might never need it but if you do, you will regret not spending a few minutes to include it.

Romex is not rated for wet or damp. Minimum of 6" of wire out of the box to work with. Generally the closest place is where you come in.
Yes i would have a small panel for the studio so it's easy to reset breakers and it saves on wire costs. No long homeruns to a panel in the basement. And i believe if it's a separate building.... It's supposed to have the breakers in that building for safety reasons.

Of course you want everything done correctly but especially when it comes to your electric.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/10/21 10:48 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.