Cathie.
ok thanks for the info.
the very first step that has to be taken is to
"PROPERLY CONFIGURE YOUR RECORDING STUDIO".
ie a methodical step by step procedure to set it up properly.
lets first address your computer. i need some info.
1. assuming pc is shutdown cold. how long does it take from the moment you press the pc power button to seeing win desktop ?
under 10 secs ? or a loooong time ? in addition please open up realband and in the menus you will see action test audio performance.
how many traks does the test report ? over 200 traks ?
this will help me assess your pc capabilities somewhat.
btw i have an i5 much older than yours with ssd. its very very fast. but its been optimised by me. it boots into win in only a few secs.
2. dont worry bout the piano. you can still do loads of songs.
i cant do notation or play the piano but that hasnt stopped me doing 300 original songs in my life in studios big and small. if i remember a ton of rockers with big hits couldnt do notation/piano either.

as a next step please read up on you tube the following if not already done so.

.optimising a pc for recording studio work.
.what is latency ?
.how to install a low latency asio usb audio interface.
(look on you tube for vids by focusrite, maudio, behringer
and other manufacturers as a start.)
.best cheap condenser microphone female singer. please note your mic is a dynamic not a condenser. the problem with dynamics is they need lots of gain compared to condensers. and some interfaces dont have lots of gain. thus problems can occur.
but lets see first what the cobalt can do.

it looks to me like you will need a cheap low latency usb audio interface. some work great and others dont depending on pc. which is why i test them by first renting.
DO YOU HAVE A RECORDING STORE NEAR YOU THAT RENTS RECORDING GEAR TO TEST LIKE I DO ? this can be problematic.
best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/23/21 08:16 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)