Hi Cathie,

Yes you will need an external audio interface. Here is a list of some inexpensive ones that are top rated:

https://thefuturemuse.com/inexpensive-audio-interfaces/#4

A number of forum members use Focusrite audio interfaces.

As far as MIDI sounds the included free Coyote is at the bottom of a list of good MIDI sounds. Soundfonts are better and there are some free to inexpensive soundfont players and sounds available. The BiaB included SFZ player is also better. The more you spend the better your MIDI sounds. Kontakt and SampleTank are a couple of expensive but excellent MIDI sound sources but both have free players with limited amount of sounds available.

BUT if I am reading you correctly you may not want to try improving MIDI sounds until you get BiaB, RealBand, or any other DAW or hardware (audio interface, monitors, mic, etc) down completely. All except the GM soundfont MIDI sounds I have mentioned will require you to assign sounds to each MIDI track and that can be a real challenge until you know your system like the back of your hand.

I hope this helps and good luck.

I want my last spoken words to be "I hid a million dollars under the........................"

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware