Been away from the internet for a few days....

So,

Cathy. It depends if you want to simply dabble in this as a pastime or if you are trying to produce halfway decent recordings, as to whether you need an external interface or not.

Most internal realtek sound chips are not good for this thing we do. They are designed to play waves and mp3 files for listening only. We are working with midi and synths and multiple audio tracks and with full duplex where sound is going in both directions..... in and out at the same time.

YES, you need an interface to do that. I like and use Focusrite. MAudio, presonus, and a few others are good. Do Not Go Cheap. Look for something that supports ASIO.

Normally you get the static, clicks, pops and audio drop-outs on the playback and recording side of things. Rendered waves tend to render well because it's not trying to keep everything synced in real time. That you have (as I understand it) static in the rendered mp3 is a puzzlement to me. But if so, I would think it was from the realtek chip set.

You should also learn how to use a fully capable DAW to get the best from your music. It's a long process of learning. And.... you shouldn't beat yourself up over things you don't know. I like to say that there are things you don't know until you know them. Heck, you don't even know they exist until you know them and then that almost always opens the door to more things that you didn't know. It's an ongoing process of learning. Everyone starts somewhere.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.