Oh my gosh!! You guys!!! Wow!! Thank you! I appreciate everything you've said. Edited the quotes to keep this from getting too long, and I'll answer oldmuso separately.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
However, if rendering a song to MP3 is creating static during the rendering, that is an issue that is better fixed at the source. Rendering should not be creating static.

That was certainly my thought, that it shouldn't create static. Thank you for explaining where to find things in Audio Editor. I'll be checking that out.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
BUT if I am reading you correctly you may not want to try improving MIDI sounds until you get BiaB, RealBand, or any other DAW or hardware (audio interface, monitors, mic, etc) down completely. All except the GM soundfont MIDI sounds I have mentioned will require you to assign sounds to each MIDI track and that can be a real challenge until you know your system like the back of your hand.

That's why I switched to audio for now... I can tell that I just don't understand what I'm doing with MIDI yet. I don't have professionally made MIDIs of full songs, just the notation file for one instrument exported as a MIDI... awful sound when done that way. And I'm still a newbie with the whole BIAB process so I really do need to practice more. Thank you for the link to the audio interfaces!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Most internal realtek sound chips are not good for this thing we do. They are designed to play waves and mp3 files for listening only. We are working with midi and synths and multiple audio tracks and with full duplex where sound is going in both directions..... in and out at the same time.... static in the rendered mp3 is a puzzlement to me. But if so, I would think it was from the realtek chip set.

So I'm going to assume the RealTek soundcard is my problem. We have access to an IT guy who rescued my hard drive from a broken computer. Pretty sure he can replace the sound card. Now I also regret not being a packrat; should have kept the AudioBox. Oh well.

I'll need a different sound card and an audio interface, and that means figuring out how to save up some money. In the meantime, I'll keep exploring BIAB and RB. Seems to me that this process is just going to take quite a while, and my expectations for being able to use BIAB right out of the box were unrealistic. I'll be very fortunate if I can do what I want by the end of the year... but at least I can get good at using RT in the meantime.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.