I played in a number of cover bands.....

Least favorite song had to be Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird. But we'd play them anyway.

However, we played what the people wanted to hear and played it with a fun attitude.

Songs that I liked to play.... just about all of them. Including the ones we didn't want to play.

One band I was in was essentially a non-commercial indulgence band. We played a lot of the Outlaws ( Green Grass, Girl From Ohio, Knoxville girl, Ghost riders) as well as Marshall Tucker and Charlie Daniels. But most of it was stuff from the albums that wasn't necessarily hits, recognizable to anyone but fans, and mostly non-danceable stuff. That band was fun because we learned a lot of really intricate stuff but it didn't fare well commercially. Go listen to CDB Saddle Tramp for an idea of what a night with us was like. We rarely got invited back to civilian dance clubs. We were good but nobody cared to come see us because they couldn't dance to our music....and we were too blind to see beyond what we wanted to play. It broke up because we couldn't get booked after a while. Lesson learned.

Every band from that point forward was commercially viable and we played a lot...and made a fair living from it. A house band was the last band I was in and that gig was 2.5 years in length. That was one tight band. Boredom started to creep in. It went down in flames in the end.... I had left and a few months later I heard about the disaster.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/25/21 06:13 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.