Cathie.
all that jim said is spot on.
1.a low latency usb audio interface can be called various different names. the KEY is that word LATENCY. meaning roughly how long it takes a system to react after a user gives a command.
the reason why latency is important is lets take those orch libs your interested in.
when you press a key on a midi kbd you want to hear those brass sections or whatever in all their glory. and not hear them delayed. for example my own pc is ok with a latency of around 4 milliseconds.
i could get it lower but dont bother. the PROBLEM with some common pc's cathie is they dont have very powerfull processors so they get stressed when a user needs very low latency performance.
also a common retail pc is not optimised for studio work.
we often have to optimise it ourselves.
which is why i mentioned earlier why some big studios use high power pc's. problem is they start at 2k plus. such pc's can handle very high trak and plug in counts. and orch libs.
talking of orch libs. read on.
2. one PROBLEM with orch lib useage is they often need not only lots of ram but also powerfull expensive processors. some of these processors alone start at over 1k without any other components in a pc. way outside my puny budget.
some big studios use huge amounts of ram eg 64 gb etc etc and even computer farms. (think major film projects).
some use huge orch libs etc etc.
expensive processors speed up render times of audio and video.
in summary it can get very very expensive quickly.
in conclusion you might stress your pc even with 16 gb of ram. useing big libs needing oodles of ram.
so what do us poorer musicians DO ?
the SOLUTION cathie if one has a small budget and cant afford i9 or xeon or amd level threadripper processors is one chooses ones plug ins and orch libs carefully. and ensure our lower level pc's can handle the load and dont get stressed and exhibit hiccups.
in summary always look at the resource requirements of a particular orch lib or plug in before purchase/useage and run tests.
i ONLY USE plug ins that are low resource useage. and will do the same when i choose my orch libs.
because frankly i cant afford 4 or 5 k on a high power computer.
my wife and i like to eat lol !
3. now back to audio interface choice.
as i said cathie i would rent first to ensure the interface (plus condenser mic) works with your pc.
heres another MAJOR POINT. follow carefully installation
instructions. IN ADDITION after installing the drivers.
typically what i do is shut down the pc and then attach the condenser mic to the xlr input of the interface AND ensure i engage 48volt phantom power switch on the interface (on some interfaces you do this via on screen menu). THEN I BOOT UP COMPUTER. make sure mic level is at minimum before bootinng up. (some new interfaces have on
screen menu to set mic level).
but YMMV. be guided by the instructions of the interface and/or your music store. in non covid times i would suggest you get the music store your renting from to install and test the interface with condenser mic with your pc.

hth/ymmv.
oldmuso
ps re midi. there are loads of vids on you tube.
also loads of midi books. some local libraries carry books on digital audio/midi. but be safe cos of covid.
and good luck.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 05/31/21 03:44 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)