Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
1. It's easy to misunderstand the term "sound card" as functionality has changed over time.
The term, sound card, morphed into an alternative name for an audio interface.

2. Audio interface manufactures should develop and distribute ASIO drivers. ASIO drivers are normally hardware specific.

ASIO4ALL is a generic wrapper .... "Windows Compliant" so a driver is not needed.... Also, all it takes is for Microsoft to change the built-in driver during an update and everything will go out of whack.

3. Band-in-a-Box and RealBand are said to depend more on CPU speed than RAM. An external audio interface doesn't use any RAM. Soft synths (Kontakt SampleTank, Halion, etc.), VSTs and VSTi and effects can require a lot of RAM.

Hi Jim! Thank you so very much, especially for the warning in point 2. I'll avoid products that use those terms. From what I understand, then, budget-wise for me the audio interface needs to come before the RAM expansion. Good to know.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
1.a low latency usb audio interface can be called various different names. the KEY is that word LATENCY. meaning roughly how long it takes a system to react after a user gives a command.
for example my own pc is ok with a latency of around 4 milliseconds.
i could get it lower but dont bother. the PROBLEM with some common pc's cathie is they dont have very powerfull processors so they get stressed when a user needs very low latency performance.
2. one PROBLEM with orch lib useage is they often need not only lots of ram but also powerfull expensive processors.
3. be guided by the instructions of the interface and/or your music store. in non covid times i would suggest you get the music store your renting from to install and test the interface with condenser mic with your pc.

Hi oldmuso! Well now, since I like being able to eat also, libraries are currently not on my radar, just on my wishlist. I read a couple threads about Cakewalk and honestly, adding another DAW right now just seemed like another rabbit hole to fall down since I just don't know what I'm doing yet. My fingers are crossed this will be like learning to ride a bicycle and that the training wheels will come off and I'll suddenly just catch my balance... but sheesh, starting from scratch like I am is pretty tough. About point number 3, Kansas is open and I'm fully vaccinated. I hadn't thought about taking the computer with me to the Guitar Center and having them install the interface and microphone, but that's a pretty good idea--and I can wear a mask for added safety (still wear one when I go out anyway; cancer patients just don't take chances, yanno?). Now to figure out the budget and figure out when I can do that.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Carefully determine how many and what types on inputs you will need on an audio interface. I know you sing and that you play keyboards and if that is all you will be using then pick an audio interface that has both as well as ASIO native drivers.

As far as MIDI goes most all new MIDI keyboards and external sound sources use USB ports and not the old 5-pin ports. If you have or will get a unit with 5-pin ports then invest in a 5-pin to USB adapter. This eliminates the need of getting an audio interface that includes MIDI ports.

Thank you, Mario. I didn't know they even still make 5-pin ports! I'll watch out for that. Don't think I really need more than 2 inputs on the interface--but if I find something on sale with more than 2, I might grab it anyway.

And can I just say, your signature lines are cracking me up! Thanks for making me laugh.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.