Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
I'd like to make one last point. In my mind it's more important to learn how to use the tools you have than acquire more tools. You can have access to the most expensive and best sounding recording equipment available but non of that counts for much until you learn to use it.

Record with what you have! Have fun! Make mistakes! You haven't experienced recording until you recorded the perfect track ... and then accidentally erased it! I've heard recordings on the internet that were recorded with a media player (MP3 player) that sound better than anything I'll ever record. But these people have spent hours learning the limitations of their equipment and how to use the equipment to their best advantage.

Record and share the joy with us!

Now, Jim, I can't begin to tell you what this means to me. All this ongoing frustration has taken the joy of music out of my life. I was listening to a song I recorded in 2015, just me and Gizmo the keyboard in the dining room, and it's not perfect by any means and certainly not professional, but nothing to be embarrassed about either--and hey, it's done, it exists, and I can listen to it! And when I finished recording it, I was on fire to do more... but these days when I finally give up on a song I'm ready to tear my hair out and walk away from music forever. Definitely need to change that energy and get back the flow and love! Having all these songs waiting, waiting, waiting for me to be able to get them to work just feels stagnant to me. I want to get them in, get them done, and go on to the next one--not that I'm not willing to put in the time to make them sound good; I truly am. But I never seem to get that far.

You definitely have my deep sympathies on that erased track!!! I had to do all my songs in one track before because I didn't know how to splice takes together, so the thing which got me was finally doing a perfect take and the cat meowed loudly in the last bar. **headdesk** I learned pretty fast to record at night with the air conditioner off and all the critters locked into a bedroom!!

Thanks again for your encouragement. I'll keep going.

Love is always worth the risk.

HP laptop; Windows 10 Home 64 bit; core i5; 2.40 Ghz; 8 GB RAM; 256 GB hard drive; BIAB 2021 Build 835.