All.
re SOUNDCRAFT EPM RANGE OF MIXERS.
heres the situation.
for some people useing multi input usb sound devices with low gain mic pre's ; sometimes useing low efficiency dynamic mics can be a problem. ie gotta crank up the gain a lot.
to solve this problem some people use in line preamp boosters.
OR another possibility is hook up ones dynamic mics to a budget mixer with good clean pre gain and then direct outs or inserts to line inputs of the usb multi input sound device. ie useing the budget mixer to boost the
micro volt mic signal.

BUT THERES A PROBLEM. a lot of manufacturers seem to have dropped direct outs/inserts on their budget lines.

at the budget end of mixers one of the few ive found is the soundcraft epm range. (6 or 8 or 12 mic pre's.)
for example the epm 6 with 6 mic pre's is not much more than one booster that can cost 200 buks or more.
but one is getting apparently 6 good mic pre's.

heres the soundcraft epm 6 for example. 250 bucks !
AND IT HAS THE INSERTS for feeding other devices eg a tape machine or a multi input usb sound device.

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/epm6

as i said little more than one in line mic pre booster cost.
and the user is getting lots of extra facilities.

so my question is. has anyone first hand operational knowledge of this epm range from soundcraft. from reviews ive read the GB30 mic pre design is good with lots of gain.
i wish there was switcheable 48 v on each channel.
but i guess at this price point its expecting too much.

(let me add yes i'm aware of usb mixers with multi channel usb capabilities. but it can be a rather expensive alternative.
also maybe a user doesnt want to disrupt his/her existing rig as it works well and just needs added mic preamp boosting.)

thus my feeling is, in conclusion, it might be a nice solution assuming the epm range mic pre's are nice.
ie epm feeding a budget usb multi input sound device.
am i wrong with this concept ? or am i out to lunch ? lol.

anyone used an epm ?? anyone know of budget mixer alternatives with DIRECT OUTS AND/OR INSERT POINTS ?
(note when useing an insert one inserts to the first clik.
inserting all the way is for send/return to/from external outboard devices eg fx /compressors etc etc etc.)
all comments appreciated.

best
oldsmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 06/04/21 03:06 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)