Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

One part of audio has drastically changed over the years; that is the transition from analog to digital. You also need to spend time learning how digital audio works; it differs significantly from audio.

Home Recording for Dummies…

Oh yea,

When I think that my first AAW (analog audio workstation) was an Akai R-R with 'sound-on-sound' in 1968, things have come a long way. When I first recorded to an Ampex 300-4 with Sel Sync (1970?), I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Being a high school kid, I couldn't afford one of my own but my dad worked there so I had access.

My basement has become the place where analog goes to die with a quartet of 4-tracks, a couple 8-tracks and over a half dozen 2-tracks of various formats. Some get dragged out to convert analog to digital. Otherwise, if I never take a razor blade to a piece of tape again, it will be way too soon.

Digital is certainly different but it's skill like any other. I'll restate the recommendation I made earlier: Learn the one thing you need to know right now. Then learn the next, then the following… At some point, you'll realize that you've learned quite a bit.

I'll make another. Stop reading this thread. Look at the videos, play with the demos. Heck, read the pages in the book that Jim recommends that apply to what you need to know right now. Have some fun, make some music and you'll be surprised by what you learn.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5