I often become frustrated at not being able to come up with really good melodies for my instrumental BIAB compositions. This is after I write a very satisfying chord progression with good form and in a good style. Personally I find melody writing the most difficult aspect of writing music. Sometimes I can get intrigued by BIAB Melodist doing its thing, but it's still sub-par quality and it's still not MY writing.

I find that when I step back from the music, playing it in my head over time, the ideas for melodies just start coming to me, usually when I'm nowhere near an instrument, computer, or music paper, or when I just don't feel like getting out of bed LOL.

When I get these melodic ideas, it strikes me that it would be so much faster to sing them into a recorder, to be transferred to my BIAB pieces, or, if I happen to luckily get them while still on BIAB, to sing them into a microphone right onto the chords.

Any suggestions for a good portable recorder or a specific microphone for singing melodies into BIAB instrumental compositions?