Originally Posted By: sslechta
<RANT>I think one reason I've had no issues with Win OSs is that since Windows NT/2000, I've put in my 40 hours a week in IT working in them. Most companies you work for in IT have their company standard OS which these days is usually the most recent Win version. So you don't have much choice other than to learn and work in the OS. With all those hours spent you definitely learn to get around the deficiencies to the point you no longer see them. That's why typically when M$FT releases a new Windows version, I jump on it right away for my home machines. I get excited to get those hours in and get sh%& figured out. Just another perspective.</RANT>

I hear you - I'm always eager to try out the new versions of Windows or macOS - although I never put them onto a production machine unless I need to! My studio computer is still running macOS High Sierra for that exact reason - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Originally Posted By: eddie1261
What's a good model Mac to look at used? I can't really afford a new one. Also one caveat is if it is going to be my main computer it has to support 3 monitors. Here in the Casa del Eastside control room I run 3 monitors.

The 2009-2012 Mac Pro is probably your best bet. With the right video cards, you can have 16 monitors!

Originally Posted By: edshaw
According to its press, MSFT is phasing out MS Paint in favor of next-to-useless Paint 3D.

Dang! I use Paint for creating a lot of screenshots for tutorials or tech support here, it does exactly what I need it to do.

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
My first computer was a TI-99/4a.

Sweet Eddie! My first one was in a similar vein in the same time period......

Adjusted for inflation, that's just under $300. We've beaten that price point today with the Raspberry Pi, Android tablets, and Chromebooks/Chromeboxes - what an age we live in!

I work here