Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso

all.
one problem i have as illustrated the other day is my wife and i were listening to the tv ; and we both said
"wasnt that intrument sound on something else recently " ?
thus i'm wondering how much one can customise orch libs
and make them unique. so when i put out a song other
people dont say the same of my song efforts.
this is my biggest concern ie how to make a lib unique to me. (as well i want libs that arent hogging cpu processes/power).
best
oldmuso

I have a major love/hate relationship with orchestra libraries. This illustrates the 'hate' side.

On one hand, it's faster and easier to use a "Vienna" sample at my computer than the real Bösendorfer in my front room with my wife playing. On the other hand, that real Viennese piano always sounds way, way better than the most expensive VI – enough so that we had the action completely rebuilt during lockdown (thank goodness it came out of her budget and not mine!).

I always hope that a project budget is big enough for a live orchestra and that I'm using my VI libraries to demonstrate ideas only. I can do a lot more tone shaping with a baton in an hour than a computer in a month. If wishes were horses… Anyway, all of the good VIs allow extensive tweaking but that takes loads and loads of time — and I'm always on deadline.

I had hoped that taking retirement from my music industry day job would give me time — then lockdown happened and making music online became a 50–80 hour a week "part time" job.

Well, my churches are meeting in person beginning September. We'll see…

Lament over.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5