I discovered something very interesting while using the files Jim suggested (from the jazz folder) and using the scale wizard to create some guitar practice scales--also incorporating both melody octave transpose AND visual transpose in the soloist menu and transpose button, respectively, to get the notation track and the fretboard into "guitar land." (I am assuming guitarists know what I am talking about--all the adjustments you have to make to see and hear notes the way you always have in guitar music.)

It does seem this is what I was looking for and it is super cool. If you generate "jazz scales" in scale wizard, the chord progressions allow you to learn many different area of jazz knowledge, though you have to do some digging.

For example, under an A7b9 chord you will see a scale that is not exactly Lydian, and if you google it, you will find, voila, there is a 7b9 scale in jazz that has rules of it's own.

I just started, but I suspect I will find more of these twists as I seek to understand the logic behind the scales generated with the chords.

To me it is WAY easier than trying to follow the theory in a jazz scales book or course.

You just kind of see and go--wow, ok, the A7b9 scale has a sharp 5, too. I get it. Accept it, learn, move on.

This has been a really cool find for me and I will spend a lot of time with this.