Originally Posted By: dcuny
It must be country - it's got banjo and harmonica. wink

Upbeat, catchy. Sort of a jaunty skip beat, matching the opening lyric.

The literalist in me was initially thrown (no horse-related pun intended) by the line:

she'll take no rein
the girl will always remain... public domain

Because the phrase take the reins is usually associated with a horse's handler taking the reins, while the horse would take the bridle.

Yeah, poetic license. I bet you're regretting that "Comments of any kind welcomed" right about now. wink

As clever as the title is, it feels a bit tacked on. With the emphasis on the horse analogies, I'd think a lyric like "the one you can't tame" would be a better fit.

Good arrangement, nicely mixed, expressively sung. I liked the stereo spread of the background vocals.

Nicely done, you and Michael! smile

David - I always enjoy reading your comments. Now for some horse play...

Indeed, "take the reins" would mean "here, you take control..." I would expect that your horse would "take the bit".

However... smile

A horse that is not trained can only be turned in a direction by pulling hard on the rein on the side that you wish to turn - for this, let's say "left". You would pull the left rein out or back. Pretty hard, pretty far, typically (untrained horses can be quite stubborn).

A well trained horse can be turned left by simply moving your hands - holding the reins - slightly to the left - just above its neck/mane - which is actually laying the right rein against the horses neck - lightly - on the right side. The horse knows to turn left. There is no "bit pulling". THIS is known as "taking a rein". A horse that will "take no rein" has not been trained to "rein".

So the point here is that our girl refuses to be "controlled" or "lead"...

Yeehaw. Giddy-up...