Rhett "Shill" annoys me far more than Rick.
The internet has promoted lead playing, though these days it's referred to as shredding - well doing anything musical or otherwise that is fast and with overt emphasis seems to be considered shredding these days, and pushes doing that to to backing tracks because that's where the centre of the universe abides...profit opportunity. Playing to backings is fine - now more than ever particularly in isolation times but there seem are fewer and fewer competent rhythm players "out there"...mind you that may be a case of rhythm players not being the sort to tout their wares via Utub & the other social media platforms.

Not much call for "Here's me playing the rhythm part to Hotel California..."

As an now old man who first learnt five guitar chords in 1976 and didn't add to that list until several years later - and has not progressed beyond a dozen open chords since then - I also see some value in working with what I have and learning to use that as best I can. I've absorbed a bit more music theory through learning cello but am careful not to let theory get in the way.

I have a nephew who learnt guitar via tabs and videos through the internet 15 years ago. He could play what he could play quite well BUT he couldn't really jam, he was very poor at rhythm and he needed to be the star.

Last edited by rayc; 07/03/21 05:30 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe