Hi Ezekiel, Rob4580 and Deej,

Thanks a lot for your posts on this (sort of) protest song.
Once in a while I like writing / singing them, because some issues really worries me.
How we deal with truth, respect and honesty is -unfortunately- not exactly an eye-opener, nor is that behavior I've sticked on myself ;-)
The main reason was that I got annoyed by the (mis)use of the word 'Woke'. I woke up on that word after reading articles about why many teachers (and people in general) avoid discussing sensitive topics in their classrooms. They are afraid of being accused of racism or whatever. At least they are not 'Woke' according to a growing number of people, who themselves have lost their sense of nuance.
But that's my opinion and probably yours (how I read them).

Now let's get back to the song and it's technical aspects. I used four tracks on the harmonies (BG). All were sculpted in Melodyne. Two found their origin in Biab (vocal harmony), the others were made "feminine" in the Daw. It took me years to deal with Melodyne, but it's paying off now: less time needed than before and better results. And I didn't read someone saying it did not ;-)

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I like that opening acoustic.
Good melody. Harmonies work. Meladyne is quite the useful tool, isn't it?
Fiddle is a good choice. Nice contrast against the rock.
Love the build to the ending!

Hi Ezekiel, that's a nice comment and you underlined my statement about Melodyne. And yes, that fiddle worked out fine. I like using strings and the 5-strings even more on sad songs. They give a sensitive touch...

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hello Hans. The intro grabbed my attention right away.
You did a really nice job on the vocals.
Good choice of band. Great production.
Very passionate tune. Rob4580

Hello Rob, thanks for listening and your nice comment. when composing the song I wanted an accoustic part, but I was hesitating about keeping the song with that one, or two, accoustic guitars or with more instruments coming in. Well, you heard what won. And you told me that was a good choice. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Hans,
Great intro and feel right out of the gate—slick chord progression. The harmonies are stellar. That clap (I think) in the chorus, staring with “If my words”, works very well (though I may have dropped it when you went back into the second round of verse, then pick it back up on the chorus). Nice feel to this—really like what you do. You have a gravitating vocal that rings in your tunes. Great work!
My very best to you,
Deej

Hi Deej, thanks for your reply. I love your opinione about the harmonies! And the "clap"? After you wrote about it, I immediately listened to the song, afraid I might have forgotten to turn it off during the verse. But it was doing what you would have liked. Still I re-mixed the song to get the "claps" louder in the chorus (and adjusting some other minor settings as well). And also thanks what you said about my voice. At home I told them about that. They think I faked your post. I think they're too Woke...

Have a nice day,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130