Hi James,

What a journey!

Bernie Taupin once wrote some lyrics for an Elton John melody that said, "Sad songs, they say so much." It was while I was listening to your words that this thought popped into my mind.

I love how verse 1 captures the emptiness and loneliness of a broken relationship. This leads perfectly into the next stage of the story where the song's writer/character is having a hard time finding words to express his feelings.

When the journey gets to the last line of verse 4—where you say, "In writing, I can let flow one more tear"—it seemed to me that this is the most important line of the song. It's as though every previous line leads to this moment. In this line, the song's character is crying through his crafting of a song. Even though his mind might be numbed and dazed, his heart is sobbing.

I know you like being inventive with your composing. This is no exception. Juxtaposing sad lyrics against a slightly buoyant backing created an interesting contrast. The combination of words, backing and your vocals kept me engaged for the whole length of the song.

I enjoyed listening and appreciate where your song took me.

I hope that life stops being so busy for you!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024