Uhhff... Some crazy and unexpected storm we had... After 3 days, I still can hear water bubbling down from the top of the mountain. Power is back. Full sunshine ahead.

I hope that these are the last of the storm surges here too. I feel it is just a misunderstanding that makes this uneasy. Charlie, I think the issue is, you do not see a specific wish as a limitation, but a "problem that needs to be solved  at any means." Seems, that if it is achievable, even if not in a particular way, that wish request was presented, it "becomes" invalidated.  When a person explains exactly how they want the wish to be fulfilled and you are offering a workaround, saying that it is exactly how the program operates, it makes people confused  (because it is not) and discouraged  from further conversations. In my opinion your observations and techniques, such as in this post are valid, but do not  address "wish" request specifics, I feel they are more inline with  regular BIAB Windows forum section or Tips / Tricks  section. 

Pipeline in my view explains how to get from A to B the shortest and cleanest way. It does not support wish directly, but I can see how his proposal might benefit the idea. I am far from programming, but it makes total sense to save a map of positions of the files, instead of actual files being assembled, such as how most DAWs do it. Whether this is achievable or not, I do not know. Seems if it is, it will take BIAB to another level. I do have reservations about the reading from the external disk, as far as seek times, given the number of files & folders particularly on older usb 2 systems, with less than perfect  usb port / motherboard chips. Somebody with knowledge probably can answer that. 

There had been several request for partial bar selection freeze or bar to bar regeneration. I would prefer this route: select bars, right click-> freeze selected> choice of either freeze all tracks within those selected bars or individual tracks. See attached.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
freezeselected.jpg (134.16 KB, 88 downloads)