Charlie,
for the most part I am talking about this:
"problem was solved by PG Music even if not by the particular way the wish request was presented."
To me, how it was solved, it did not address wish. You can not select bars, right click and freeze just those bars. Not comping, not audio editing. Just simply freeze selection.

About direct playback access.. in my understanding each regeneration forms a new audio by mixing an actual audio file(s) instead of just "playing a position" that what takes 6-10 seconds of "regeneration". Here is my stone age view. Imagine a book and a list of bookmarks with highlighted text. Instead of opening the book and reading these sections per instruction, BIAB copies parts to separate "sheets" and glues them to a big "physical" board to make it coherent. I might be wrong...
----------

JJJ,
"(you knew that was coming, right?)" smile
Kind of.
Ok.. while your idea is simpler, here is the issue. Lets assume you got, 70 bars, if you add bars, or make any chord changes at any place, BIAB will most likely create a new generation on playback for unfrozen tracks. Adding a chord on bar 70, might change anything anywhere (what is not frozen).

Please let me ask you this, so I understand this better. In your proposal, how will regenerated selected bars (your way), will stay intact if they are not frozen? In my archaic understanding of BIAB algorithm, while your proposal makes sense from user end, it would be a 2 step behind the scenes actions. Regenerate + Freeze (exclude from next regeneration) of those sections...

Also, how will you know what you regenerated and what you did not, especially if you do bar to bar at random sections? In my opinion indications would be needed. We had that discussion not too long ago. Found pics from it. Or you proposing doing partial regens "by ear"?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
a.jpg (69.4 KB, 46 downloads)
b.jpg (106.14 KB, 46 downloads)