Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I turned my system on one day and had a really bad hum.... 60hz. I was thinking something had blown up or whatever.... bad cables.... etc.....
After spending more time than I should have spent.... I realized I had left my POD2 output turned up from the last recording session and the guitar cord was in the input and the guitar was not connected.
Some times it's just the simple stuff.... be sure you check those things too.
Do to my personality and how I think....I try to analyse from the hardest things first.....as a result, I often spend more time and effort than necessary.... if I had only checked the simple things first.... such as.... yep... is the switch on the side turned on? No? Oh S%#&!

Thanks for the encouragement HH,
As my most recent post makes clear, the only input for the recent test was a "terminated" XLR cable.
The images were taken with a bass D.I.'d as I needed some signal to show the variation.
The fairly extensive list of variations and changes include using a laptop computer running on battery and in a different room to the problem spot.

There are two steps I've not yet taken..one is to repeat the laptop & interface test but after blacking out the house AND taking the laptop and interface into the street.
There're two BIG questions - 1. What's causing this problems? and 2. Does it have an audible impact on my recording, processing & mixing?

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe