Originally Posted By: Simon - PG Music
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
For me there are only two kinds of music (1) music I like and (2) music made for someone other than myself.

This is exactly how I define music. I'll happily jump from listening to Billie Eilish (pop) to Between The Buried And Me (technical death metal) to Snarky Puppy (jazz/funk) to Bent Knee (art rock) to Beethoven (you know who he is). All of this music can be considered pop if you ask the right group.

Genres these days are a lot more flexible than they used to be. Take this song for example - they're a modern metal band, but I guarantee most of you will be surprised at how not-heavy it is for the most part:

SIMON! That was spectacular. I'd call it stripped down metal, maybe. It has the 'elements' even when it was quiet..the jagged rhythm, dissonance, and all that.

It's just that they were out of costume (except the drummer, but only when he was shirtless). They look like the next six or so hipsters through the doors at Starbucks. How can they be metal without the costumes?

But that singer! Lord-a-mercy. Those are probably the best vocals I've heard in a long, long, long ever.

----

On topic: Pop is like [*****]. I have a hard time defining it, but I know it when I (see) hear it. I've always liked the majority of what made it to radio, as long as it doesn't wear out its welcome.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground