Originally Posted By: bloc-head
I found his explanation of the advantages of the longer scale length interesting, but could have used much more depth...Afer all the hype, I was disappointed in the video... I do see great potential in the Variax... I'd love to know more about the tuning, and pitch shifting/correction, how well does this work if the strings are slightly out of tune?? I also wish he had left off the fuzz, and demonstrated more of the tonal qualities of the different guitar models... I'm sure there are a lot better videos online... I'll be checking them out soon.

Looking forward to hearing what you do with it Pat.

If the guitar is out of tune and you change the tuning using the knob to say 1/2 step down which is one of the options, it will still be out of tune but a 1/2 step lower. The Tunings are changed digitally of course but the change is done to the signal created from the strings and "pickup" in the bridge so they need to be in standard tuning to begin with. I have no idea about any pitch correction. As far as I know it does not do that but I could just be ignorant.

As to the native sound, mine is the sort of strat copy/body and you get a similar strat sound using just the normal magnetic pickups. since there are varying body styles and pickup combinations available, the only real way to find out is to play them.

The modelled sounds are all quite good. I am not too fond of the 12 string stuff on its own but in a mix it sounds fantastic. The Les Paul, Strat, Tele sounds are all good. The hollowbody stuff is good as well. There is a 335, Gretsch, Good resonator stuff and even a Sitar. The jazz guitars are modelled nicely too. Really good overall, in my opinion.

My wife asked if I had seen the dog bowl. I told her I didn't even know he could.