Originally Posted By: cooltouch
After reading through this thread, it strikes me that if this bot inanity continues, most C&W and Blues tunes that have been written since the beginning of time will be flagged for copyright infringement. Am I wrong?

The bots I'm familiar with are looking for titles and, more importantly, samples. A freely available sample is used in something and, Bingo, you get notified. The only way to fight it is to explain why the notice is wrong and be very specific with your details. Otherwise, you can lose in many ways including possible loss of your YouTube, SoundCloud or BandCamp channel.

With church groups, a piano part might be used in a Youtube video. The accompaniment is in public domain and the track is uploaded by, say Hymnody.com with a clear notice that anyone can use it — so you do. Then the Brazilian publisher bot flags it as being under Copyright under a different title by (Christian artist name you've never heard of). You find the guy's recording on Youtube and, sure enough, he has a song using the same melody but he isn't even using that piano track and (here's the best part) his words, though different, are also in the PD.

Hymn tunes, like blues licks are recycled constantly once in the PD. This gives those [*****] their opening.

Fun, huh?

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5