Deej. re your intrigued.

heres some vocal triks i learnt in big studios. there are many other triks. hth/ymmv.

1. psychologically , for a singer, the first voc take is the roughest , cos the singer has no voc reference point...and is thinking "am i good enough". even top singers sometimes get nerves. so get it over fast.
then the second take is easier cos one has a reference point hearing the first take back down low in the
cans.
2. i do multiple voc takes, maybe 3 (some singers do many more) then comp a final vocal from takeing the best of the 3. then i think where does the song need "voc doubles" or even "triples". the whole idea being to build "a vocal character". eg choruses often. i never use software to double. i find that actually singing again a new trak results in little interesting variances and characters.

in summary if your intrigued, run tests on your songs, also listen to past big songs and youll hear many techniques like the above used. there are lots of triks one can learn from carefully auditioning in detail well known songs.

i dont have all the answers, cos triks vary often according to what each song needs to create the best sound picture for it. what works on one song might not on another. lots is experimentation.

i just listened to babu music/marty..
"i'm in it for the minute"..
deej a v good example of contrast and useing doubles in the vocals to build vocal character.

happiness/best/hth/ymmv
always experimenting old muso.

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 10/02/21 03:13 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)