Good tips Herb. I've used those techniques in both RealBand and Studio One in the past. I agree that times it's better to leave some realistic noise or small mistake in a song and volume envelopes work really in these cases. Zoomed in micro mutes are also effective.

I know you're more than comfortable doing these tasks in Sonar and there's no reason to suggest you do otherwise but for those that either don't use a DAW, or prefer to stay in BIAB as long as possible, I'd like to pass along that your methods are also very quick and easy to do in the BIAB Audio Editor. The process is similar to cut/paste and just about as fast.

The Audio Editor doesn't have a envelope track but it does have both gain and audio leveling at the same zoom levels as a DAW so any offending region can be selected and the volume reduced, muted or erased. I've previously demonstrated the BIAB Audio Editor can also quickly copy new audio from somewhere else in the track or from another track or regenerate new audio if reducing a squeak, lip smack, breath or other noise isn't satisfactory.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.