Bob, I'm not sure we addressed your question.

The purpose of this setting, which can be set for each audio device, is to allow, or not allow, other sounds on your Windows system to play while using this device. For example, while in BIAB, you might do something that would normally generate a beep warning from Windows. Do you want to hear that beep? In most cases, I don't think it does any harm. However, if you are recording, then it might be a good idea to turn off any other possible sounds, so yes, do allow the device to take exclusive control.

In your case, even when you connect your USB audio interface, the Windows system sounds like beeps may still play through the Soundbaster. You can change that in Control Panel if you wish, or even do what some audio guides recommend: turn system sounds OFF. Me? I leave the system sounds on but set them to play at half volume. I hate having a booming beep** occur when I have the volume of my music turned up.

Does that help?

** booming beep would be a good name for a band

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors