Originally Posted By: rayc
I do it with thumb and two fingers...anything more is beyond me.
banjo...I bought the finger picks and worked at it couldn't get my head around it so just do the thumb & two with that too.

I taught myself fingerpicking using only my thumb and first finger. Eventually, I composed a song that was recorded on an album and as the recording progressed, the engineers and producer interrupted the session and advised I was playing 'wrong'. Two real studio musicians were present and one overdubbed the part and made more than a few attempts but the rest of the group couldn't grasp the change and lost the groove of the song.

Although I'm left handed, I was taught to play guitar right handed. I guess this along with my abstract fingerpick technique created an unquantized and odd pattern lick the others had become use to and they were unable to play along with correctly played instrumentation.

In the end, my unique style riff made the final take. After the recording, I learned proper three finger style fingerpicking.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.