Probably some idiot just out to destroy something Josie, and you were the nearest and easiest to get to. The best way to avoid is if at all possible is to lock your vehicle up at night.

We had some recent auto break-ins in our neighborhood a month or so ago and while I am not sure of your situation regarding a "garage" in our neighborhood every home has a two car garage. that in most cases are used for storage of junk while 30 - 40K vehicles are left on the apron, and in some cases even on the street. Many had cameras and did indeed get film on the crimes but at night with combined with poor lighting and the culprits wearing hoodies with their faces covered it actually was insufficient evidence for anyone to be charged. But even though we keep both vehicles in our garages (combined may be worth 20K lol) I did install motion sensor lights that when activated light up our front yard like a runway at any large airport, and in some cases might inflict burns right through a hoodie. So what I am saying is if you can't remove your property from the vandal it seems your idea about cameras and "bright" lighting would be the 2nd best action on your part.

Best of luck.