Hi Charley, I hear you. Everything revolves around money. My only experience in a professional studio has been when I was paying the bill so I never had the pressure of dealing with someone else nickel.

I am pretty sensitive to people telling musicians that they lack the skillset and we don't have time to deal with you and what you are doing does not meet my idea of what is acceptable.

The lead guitar player I have played with most of the last part of live performances could play anything, note for note. Lewis liked to play in a much more complex way than I liked. I would never prevent him from expressing art as he saw it. If I would have been unhappy with his playing I would have got someone else.

Truly professional musicians can play to anything. I have played with Larry Carlton who is someone who can outplay almost anyone. He made everything work with my limited ability and made me feel very welcome and a part of the deal. He is a true professional and a kind person.

On a very few occasions at jam sessions, Lewis and I have had to deal with people who had very limited skills. If they played out of time we just followed them out of time. If the vocalist went to the four chord when they should have gone to the five chord we just followed them. What sort of arrogant knucklehead would try to make someone feel less than?

Obviously, the studio world is its own special case. Studio time costs a lot of money so there is limited time to do things. Situations can be controlled intelligently without saying things the have the effect of hurting people's feelings.
I am always consulting with the studio engineers and value their opinion. But they are damn sure not going to dictate to me what to play.

If I don't have the time or money to treat someone with kindness and respect, why would I let them in the door, to begin with?

Music is a very emotional endeavor and there are way to many people who are so self-centered they have no concern for other people's feelings.

More than once I have seen people leave a blues jam almost in tears because of the way they were treated by stupid uncaring arrogant musicians.

I am sure part of my dislike for the way people get treated comes from the LA music scene which has an overabundance of arrogant musicians.

I will get off my soapbox about this issue...lol

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo