Quote:
Nice sounding track. I like your vocal treatment. Good mix.

Jim.... vox treatment is doubling and some verb.... with harmony in a few places. Thanks.

Quote:
Everything fits well. Nice, even mix. The lyrics and music combine to take the listener 'on location.'

Ghostgum.... thanks... Isn't that the ultimate goal of the song? To take the listener on a brief excursion into the magical place of the song. I'm glad it did that for you

Quote:
Sounds really nice Herb! Love the harmonies! It's odd not hearing your electric guitar playing but your arrangement and corresponding instrument choices are super! Really good Country flavored tune! Thanks,

Torrey, Sometimes I just have to take a back seat and do what the song tells me it wants. Thank you

Quote:
Generally I’m not the biggest fan of country, but you’ve got a good one here. I think good country, more so than other genres, really turns on the quality of the lyric—and this is a stellar write. Bolstered by great production, it delivers the goods in spades. Great choice to feature the steel guitar—it’s the star here . . . but your vocal is also very cool, very authentic for the feel of the song. Outstanding work!

Deej. When I can pull in someone who's not a fan of the genre.... I think I've done my job. I love to write story songs... some of the great country writers of the past excelled at this. THanks for your input.

Quote:
You are right, I always love a cowboy song. This is good. Good lyrics. I love the "High Sierra" part. Well done. Vocals are rich. Good work. That country band is pretty good too - you should hire them full time.

JPT. I had a patron (read "heckler") in a club one night yell out hey... can't you play anything but country. I replied.... yes, in fact I can play both kinds of music.... Country and WESTERN.... and proceeded to play Home on the range.... the place went nuts. I love a good western song. Thanks. I did hire them....

Quote:
i'm not big on country...but i really like what youve done with this. a very full nice mix. sounds really nice. nice lyrics. when you sing 'high sierra' i would suggest considering vocal doubling herb. i like that lyric 'tumbleweeds again' etc.

OM... If you listen closely, there is doubling through the entire song and harmony in there as well. It's just that I run those really low to get more of an ambience to the background as opposed to obvious doubling. You can hear it clearly in a few places where I got sloppy at the mixing stage and didn't "fix" the stuff that wasn't perfectly synced. If it gets too loud in the mix it will cause comb filtering and that's undesirable. So I keep it low. You can figure that on everything I do, with rare exceptions, there is vocal doubling and often harmony. This song has 5 vocal tracks. And there's a dedicated vocal sub buss. Tumbleweeds.... it's all about taking you to the location and seeing it in your minds eye.

Quote:
A really tidy production package. there's an occasional crack like when you sing "be" at the end of a phrase where the vocal triggers a bit more reverb than expected but other wise this is really well done. The melody vaguely reminds me of an old, (1972), Australian song that has a nice loping, relaxed feel too... Rock n Roll Lady

RayC... I had to listen to see what you were talking about on "be". I hear it. I think it's an artifact that happened from the MP3 conversion on Soundcloud. It's not there in the wave in the DAW. That's a damn fine audio catch. Thanks for pointing that out. I will investigate it closer.... but not this week.

Quote:
This is a super country song and it should be played on the radio today. You nailed that country groove! Great vocal and mix. Two thumbs up.

Mario, thanks... but they're really not playing country music as we define it, on today's radio.... but I do agree.... this needs to be in the current national rotation.

Thanks to everyone who has commented..... be advised.... I will be busy this week so I won't have a chance to set down and reply to your comments..... Lilly and I are working on getting her HRD water certification this week and we'll be out of town from before sun up to well after sundown every day. I will try to check in when we're not in the boat or otherwise engaged in some sort of training..... We're going to be beat by Friday.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/08/21 04:45 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.