Howdy Plano....

Well....guess I can chime in.

I haven't performed 'live' in the band context since 1980.
But....I've kept playing, writing songs and recording because that's just what I do.

Like yourself, and I'd guess some others here, arthritis in my fingers has been a real annoyance for the last 4-5 years.
My fingers just don't bend at the knuckles without lots of focus and determination.
To me...it feels like someone took a rubber band and wound it around each knuckle joint a few times.

It takes lots of repetition to learn a new song to get muscle memory doing its thing over time.
I have about 23 of my favorite cover songs which I go through most every day to keep my rhythm chops up.
Most of them are not easy to play so it's struggle to keep motivat4ed.
I can get through about 2-3 consecutively (as in a set) then I have to stop, shake out my chord hand and mutter some colorful expletives to my old self.
I couldn't play a complete set now even if my life depended on it.

I take lots of aspirin for the pain over the years.
Also...which you don't do....I'll have a highball or two and it helps loosen up my fingers be far more cooperative with my demands on them.
I'd guess it thins the blood a bit and reduces the overall inflammation....just a guess.
It really does help.

I also have spinal stenosis (last 6 years or so) and have to walk with a cane so I have to sit and play.
I hate having to do that because I like to move around when playing rhythm guitar.

Figured I'd offer a current pic to attach a name with a aged face:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3002&attachmentid=34300

It's from my current YT video music project.
Damn...this getting old isn't for the faint of heart but it beats the alternative. smile

That's my story....didn't mean to write a novelette.

Have a great day everyone....