You can do HEAPS in Reaper...I restored a mono cassette dub done on the day we were recording in a local studio in about 81.
I do also use Wavrepair for LPs etc as it's VERY specific to that - not sure if it's still available.
Recorded LIVE at Warrawilla Studio...direct to 12 track I think...Bass was DI and sounds it.

This link will take you to two .wav files of one of the songs recorded in that session and mono dumped to the cheapest possible type I cassette (Govt issue) available.

https://we.tl/t-UIxJ6qIPGD

I tried four cassette machines to get the best playback and, strangely, a Sony Walkman was THE one.
I recorded INTO WaveRepair (CD standards).
Casio keyboards WITH the built in drum machine would you believe...it was the early 80s.
I did some light EQing in WavRepair to remove a little noise back in 2006 and then left the files for yonks, (The SIMPLE EQ was step one I used when archiving the cassette into a digital format), until a member of the band mentioned, in 2019, that he didn't have a copy.
I pulled up the sessions, did some careful noise reduction with ReaFir and did some very surgical subtractive EQing in Reaper using the native effects, I did some VERY light exciting and increased the level with some parallel compression.
I TRIED artificial stereo widening but it wasn't an enhancement. I haven't attempted Mid Side EQing because I don't have any plugins for, or experience with, it.
The band mate was happy enough as something is better than nothing.
The results, (Andre Done), aren't miraculous...but the MOJO is, relatively, intact.
The point, the tools are available but they take time & patience to get a so so result.

Last edited by rayc; 12/03/21 12:01 AM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe