Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Call me crazy, but I'm picking up on a different tone and energy than you last song. I can pick up on these subtleties. grin

A beautiful heartfelt heartbreak.

Quote:
that's a lack of commitment that i regret
a huge chunk of stupid that i won't soon forget

there'll be no you and me...

This song isn't long on lyrics; but is so potent with what is there.

Your semi-conversation delivery actually sounds like someone having it happen in the moment.

I'm on the wrong sound system to know if that kick kicks too much. Everything seems to on the system in the vehicle I'm in. But wow-zer! I'll let others with better systems sound off. I'm guessing it's nothing, knowing your mixing abilities.

I know not every song is a winner. I'm just curious if I will ever hear something subpar from you. Again, this was fantastic!

BTW, I really do love the tone of your voice in this song too. The throw away at the end of some of your lines implies the exact sentiment of the song. VERY well done!

C - Thanks! The kick are a bit "heavy", yes. Experimenting. The choice of a kick has SUCH a wide range of possibilities these days. The range in Contemporary Country alone (these days) is mind-boggling. (Snares, too for that matter)...

Originally Posted By: rayc
There're a few things that make me smile immediately - seeing a new Floyd Jane song in the forum is one of them.
I really like the space around the words - allowing the narrative to breathe with just enough backing to remind me it's a song rather than a melodic confession.
"apologies, abuses
alibis, excuses"
OUCH and WOW.
Mea culpa with a large cup of regret to help swallow it.
Brevity certainly works for this sad, sweet, bitter pill.

Mix & arrangement wise I'd be inclined to soften the strings toward the end with some more reverb & top end roll off EQ...just to reduce the "midiness" a little.

Thanks for all of that, ray!! I always enjoy reading your thoughts on a song and production. Always honest, always thoughtful.
I can see where the strings could be softened a bit. I "grew up" on the classic Glen Campbell records - Al De Lory liked those string strong... smile