If I'm playing for a dancing crowd, I do not talk on the mic much. I watch the crowd, call the song I think is most appropriate to keep them on the dance floor, and go from song to song with zero delay (even 3 seconds is enough for some people to start leaving the dance floor, and once they start, it's difficult to get them to turn around). I'll do all the talking after they get tired of dancing fast and before a slow song, because in the adult market, that will always get them on the dance floor. My job for a dancing crowd is to get them to dance as much as I can and to have a great time. That's what they came for.

I have another gig were there is no dance floor. The crowd comes to listen. I talk a lot on the mic there, get them to sing along, tell corny jokes, stories about the songwriters or artists, anecdotes about my own personal experiences as a musician, and anything else I can think of to involve and entertain the audience any way I can.

I never forget that my job is to please the audience. I'll do whatever I can to do just that (to the best of my ability).

I also remember people's requests (much as a bartender knows what they drink). And when the people come in, I'll wait until they get settled and get their drinks served, and then I'll mix in their request when appropriate and send it out to them. It makes them feel special (and they are special).

I play for the people, and I get the audience I ask for. And while doing that, I'm enjoying myself and therefore playing for myself as well. It's the proverbial win-win attitude.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks